Saturday, November 2, 2013

A Full Week of Genealogy and a World Access Pass to Ancestry.com

I have been able to indulge my passion for genealogy without any restraint this week, as Knapper has been gone on a hunting trip to Ohio.  Before he left, he gifted me with the most expensive subscription to ancestry.com, for which I will be forever grateful.  So, without Knapper here and with the whole world of genealogical records spread before me, I've been...frustrated.  Why, you ask?  Because just because you have access to the whole world doesn't mean most of your ancestors won't continue to hide from record-takers.  I have been able to document a great many of my family lines in Canada, but some, including one of my most-wanted records, are still swirling out there somewhere in the mists of time...or something.

Isaac M Lemon.  He was the father of my great grandfather, Isaac B Lemon, father of my grandfather, Russell Tiffin Lemon, father of my own father, Russell Raymond Lemon.  I found the record listing the death of Isaac M's wife, Ann Tiffen Lemon.  It was an addition to the 1871 Canadian census.  Nothing written, of course, of the whereabouts of her burial.  Isaac M Lemon supposedly died not long after, but I can't find any record of that.  Frustrating.

I cheated and took Knapper's computer downstairs to use for genealogy while he's gone.  It's been lovely not having to wait and wait and wait for pages to load, and it's almost silent as well, which is wonderful.  Hours and hours go by and I am lost in records and trees and names and dates and I've been loving every second of it.  I cleaned the house when Knapper left and it's stayed clean.  I clean as I go when cooking, so the kitchen has been spotless.  I've only eaten when I felt like it, which hasn't been often.  I think this must be a little what Heaven must feel like, except in Heaven there are no missing records and all dates and spouses and children and explanations are easily found and understood.

No comments:

Post a Comment