Monday, April 15, 2013

Relative Relations

My sister-in-law, Kennetta Dines Lemon, was here and spent the night on Saturday.  She's a genealogy buff like me, but much more detail oriented.  She created her own genealogy program on her computer using Excell.  She has notebooks filled with documents and sources and her trip up here was another fact finding mission.  She visited 3 or 4 cemeteries and then went to the Grand Rapids Public Library, which I didn't even know was open on Sundays.  She's one of those genealogists you love to hate.  She documents her sources to the "T", she contacts funeral homes and sextons and county registers of deeds.  She's the genealogist I aspire to be but probably never will attain.

We had great fun during her visit talking of dead and living relatives.  We also made plans to visit the Library of Michigan and Macomb County.  I see a trip to Salt Lake City in our future.  I wonder if she's aware of the Family History Libraries the Mormons run?  She lives with my brother in Indiana, near Fort Wayne, which has a library with an extensive genealogy library.  She says she hasn't been able to find much information there relevant to her searches. 

She did respark my own genealogy passion, which is always welcome.  I'm excited about tomorrow which is the start of the free 5 day access to Ancestry.com's international marriage records.  So many of my ancestors lived, married and died in Canada and I can't wait to see what information I can gather.

No comments:

Post a Comment