Saturday, October 20, 2012

"who carries green lemons in macomb county, michigan?"

The title above was a search term that found my blog instead of green lemons.  Ironically, I research both Greens AND Lemmons.  And Lemons.  There are no such things as coincidences. 

Talking again about that Sutphin family I blogged about the other day.  That family intermarried quite heavily with the Lemmon family I started researching because of their being near my Lemons.
I suppose it's no great leap understanding that because of the lack of easy travel, groups of people moved together en mass, with some in the family arriving in a new place first and then writing (actual snail mail!) family members back "home" in the East and convincing them to move out "West" to Michigan. 

The more I research the more I appreciate what a huge part family ties played in the daily lives of our ancestors.  It's endlessly fascinating to me to be this long-distance witness to the marriages and births of all these people who lived so long ago.  As far as I know, I have no blood ties to these Lemmons and Sutphins, yet their lives can occupy me for entire days as I trace their lines. 

I started last week indexing death certificates for Family Search.  It's relatively easy to do and interesting work.  I keep hoping I'll stumble accidentally over members of my own family, or families I'm researching just for the fun of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment