Thursday, October 4, 2012

Those Annoying Barnards et al

My mother's side of the family is really frustrating me.  My father's side and Bruce's side (even his mother's birth family side!) were so much easier to research online and document.  Thanks to the Library of Michigan's online death certificates from 1898 to 1920, I've been able to make great strides towards tracing whole families.  But my mother's people?  IMPOSSIBLE

Is it the fact that they lived in the south?  Is it because the Civil War affected so many areas?  What is the ding-dang deal??  Barnard, Oglesby, Lavinder, Penrod, Bowling, Stevens, the list of surnames that have me stumped just goes on and on and on.  I find them in some census records, but not in others.  In some cases they just simply disappear after a decade.  All of them---gone.  Like they were abducted by aliens or something. 

Today I got so frustrated that I was sitting in the basement screaming at dead ancestors.  Not one of my better moments.  And I'm good at genealogy, I really am!  Or at least I'm good at finding my father's people, and Bruce's people.  Maybe that's the problem?  Maybe I only think I'm good because they were all so easy to find?  That's a bummer. 

Anyway, I'll keep working on them.  I have no choice.  I'm addicted to tracking down dead people.

No comments:

Post a Comment