Friday, January 18, 2008

Oglesby-Lemon Census frustration

I thought I had the answer to the disappearance of John M. Lemon's family after 1920.  I should be able to find his son and/or grandson in the 1930 census, but they've just disappeared.  The only thing I've been able to find has been a Clayton Lemon living in Los Angeles, California with a wife and two step-children in their 20's.  Clayton Lemon is in his 40's, drives his own truck, and was born in Michigan around the right time.  But I can't find his son, who would still be young enough to be with a parent.  I've tried searching the census by looking for his first name and the name of his mother, thinking his parents divorced and his mother remarried, but if that's the case, his mother gave him her new married name because I can't find an Ella with a son named John Lemon.  I have found a John C. Lemon with the same birthdate who died in Pontiac in 1997.  An obituary would be nice.   My theory has been that the Lemon name got mangled in the 1930 census and that's why I can't find them.  I also figured out how to get a family's address off the census, which only works for those who live in cities, and spent hours trying to find the address of John Lemon in 1930.  I finally found the house, but other people were living there.  I wish access to land records were online.  

And the Oglesby family continues to ellude me from 1880-on.  I tried a similar search strategy in where I located neighbors in relation to the Oglesby property in the last census I found them, then searching for those people in the next one, but didn't have any luck.  Then I tried searching in Illinois as I had found at one time a record of land being bought in Illinois by a Daniel Oglesby, but I couldn't find them there, either.  What happened in 1880 to the Oglesby family?  They must have lost their land and split up, but why?  It's so frustrating not having answers to these questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment